This course is of significant benefit to non-native teachers of English with up to 2 years’ experience in the CLIL environment and who:
• need currently, or in the future, to deliver content lessons in English
• wish to share ideas on best practice methodologies with colleagues from across Europe thereby improving the overall approach to CLIL Teaching in their schools and, as a result, the learner outcomes for their students.
This course is also suitable for trainers who are at the beginning of their CLIL training careers.
Special Taster Session
Not sure if this is the right course for you or your school?
Join us for a special FREE taster session.
• 10th June – 14.00- 16.00 GMT
• 2 Hours online
Should you wish to enrol for the full course after attending the taster session, we will waive the €25 registration fee.
1-week Online Course
We will be offering this a special one-week interactive online course. By selecting some of our most popular content from the two-week course, this provides you the confidence you need to use a variety of teaching techniques in a shorter amount of time. This special offer also provides insight into teaching and attending classes online.
The objectives of this 2-week course on the Theory and Practice of CLIL are
• to familiarise participants with key concepts and issues in CLIL and to share international best practice techniques
• to help develop their teaching techniques and confidence in teaching subjects through English and to examine the impact on teaching of recent pedagogical developments including developments in classroom technology
• to cover a variety of school subjects including geography, history, science and art with a focus on methods of making the subjects accessible through English.
• to examine the theoretical principles underpinning CLIL in such a way that they will be applicable to practice at primary and secondary level
• to develop and consolidate participants’ own language skills
• to establish contacts between teachers from a variety of European backgrounds and facilitate future networking among these professionals.
• to promote awareness of contemporary Ireland
This is a practical, hands-on, participative course. The input sessions are a blend of lecture format and practical activities based on CLIL methodology. Throughout the course, participants are encouraged to reflect on their own practice, consider alternative practices and try out a variety of classroom activities through lesson planning, workshops and presentations.
• Increased confidence in using a variety of teaching techniques, including new technology developments, which are transferable to a range of curriculum subjects at primary or secondary level
• Greater awareness and understanding of international best practice techniques in the area of CLIL including the area of assessment in the CLIL classroom
• Digital portfolio of CLIL lesson plans and projects for the CLIL classroom to act as a reference for implementing new techniques in their schools and also as an aid to disseminating the project to colleagues
• Enhancement of personal English Language skills
• Greater understanding of students’ needs and improved learner outcomes for their students
• Sharing of experience with professionals from a range of European countries
• Increased knowledge of Irish history and culture
• Knowledge of Erasmus+ potential for professional development
A 2-week course consisting of 40 classroom contact hours plus 1 afternoon workshop plus an extensive afternoon trainer-led cultural and social programme directly linked to the mornings.
On the final day of the course, the participants engage in a reflection session in which they are encouraged to examine benefits gained from the course and complete a course evaluation form. Participants are encouraged to keep contact via email and private social networking. Twin English Centre Dublin trainers are available for follow-up advice and support at all times.
To apply for the Theory and Practice of CLIL Course
To make application for Erasmus+ funding for this course or any of our other in-service training courses for teachers please visit your National Agency website for full information on the application process.
About Twin English Centre Dublin
Twin English Centre Dublin has a staff of highly qualified, experienced and motivated teacher trainers who also practising teachers of English, experienced in using up-to-date methods with learners at all levels of language learning. In addition Twin Dublin has been providing in-service training courses for teachers from overseas for the last 18 years.
Programme including materials; excursions and activities as outlined in the programme
Host family accommodation; single room; half board
Student Self Catering Accommodation; July & August only.
Single room with private bathroom; shared kitchen/living room.
5 minutes on foot from Twin Dublin and from city centre.
Airport Transfers (optional)