This course is of significant benefit to non-native teachers and trainers who:
• need to increase their awareness of current thinking on PBL developments
• wish to share ideas on best practice methodologies with colleagues from across Europe thereby improving the overall approach to teaching in their schools
The objectives of this 1-week Project Based Learning course are:
• to familiarise participants with key concepts and issues in Project Based Learning
• to help develop participants’ skills in implementing PBL in the classroom
• to increase participants’ skill and confidence in the use of tech tools used in PBL
• to cover a variety of school projects for subjects such as English, geography and history with a focus on the tools and resources needed to make PBL accessible to learners through English
• to provide opportunities for improved methodology and creativity to help participants increase their student engagement and retention on their return to their own schools
• to provide an opportunity to develop and consolidate participants own language skills
• to establish contacts between teachers from a variety of European backgrounds and facilitate future networking among these professionals
• to promote awareness of contemporary Ireland
The input sessions are a blend of lecture format and practical activities. Throughout the course participants are encouraged to reflect on their own practice, consider alternative practices and try out a variety of classroom activities through lesson planning, workshops and presentations. Participants will build up a portfolio of project ideas and develop a project of their own.
• Increased confidence in developing and implementing PBL in the classroom
• Greater understanding of students’ needs and improved learner outcomes for their students
• Increased awareness of the range of uses for successful implementation of PBL in the school
• Digital portfolio of PBL material as a reference for implementing new techniques in participants own classrooms and to facilitate dissemination of the project to colleagues
• Participation in a real world project focusing on the core stages of PBL
• Increased awareness of the possibilities of exploiting easily available texts as a language teaching resource
• Enhancement of personal English Language skills
• Sharing of experience and knowledge with professionals from a range of European countries
• Increased knowledge of Irish history and culture
• Knowledge of Erasmus+ potential for professional development
This 1-week course on Project Based Learning consists of 20 morning contact hours as well as 2 afternoon workshops and an extensive cultural and social programme directly linked to the morning sessions.
On the final day of the course, the participants engage in a reflection session in which they are encouraged to examine benefits gained from the course. They then complete a course evaluation form. Participants on the course are encouraged to keep contact via email and private social networking. Twin English Centre Dublin trainers are available for follow-up advice and support at all times.
To Apply for a Theory and Practice of Project Based Learning (PBL) Course
To make application for Erasmus+ funding for this course or any of our other in-service training courses for teachers please visit your National Agency website for full information on the application process.
About Twin English Centre Dublin
Twin English Centre Dublin has a staff of highly qualified, experienced and motivated teacher trainers. They are also practising teachers of English, experienced in using up-to-date methods with learners at all levels of language learning. In addition Twin Dublin has been providing in-service training courses for teachers from overseas for the last 18 years.
Programme including materials; excursions and activities as outlined in the programme
Host family accommodation; single room; half board
Student Self Catering Accommodation; (July & August and limited availability in June).
Single room with private bathroom; shared kitchen/living room.
5 minutes on foot from Twin Dublin and from city centre.
Airport Transfers (optional)